Visit Russian North: Winter expedition from Murmansk to St. Petersburg (or St. Petersburg – Murmansk)
We are looking forward to share with you our special experience during this adventure. You will explore Murmansk – the city of Russian Military Glory and the largest city in the world which is located in the Polar Circle! You will try to ride in husky and reindeer pulled sleigh. You will meet the culture of reindeer herders Sami and visit Karelian and Russian villages to understand the difference between these three nationalities of native people who lived in Russian North for ages till our days. Then you will drive a snowmobile through breathtaking landscapes of Khibiny Mountains and get some heat in banya – traditional Russian sauna. You will also have time for skiing and snowboarding. Even if you never tried to do it – you will have a chance to learn! During the whole trip you will pass 2000 km (1240 miles) crossing Polar Circle of the Earth and watching beautiful nature of Russian North, eating tasty Russian and Northern cuisine, having long interesting conversations about history, cultures and interesting places of Russia with your new friends. And the main highlight of the trip – most beautiful miracle of north – Polar Lights or Aurora Borealis!
Day 1. Murmansk City Tour!
- This day we meet you at the airport or railway station of Murmansk and bring to the hotel for you to have some rest after the flight.
- Depending upon your arrival time, we will have a little walk in the city for you to meet new reality of this place. Don’t forget, that it is a real cold winter and you are at the very north of Russia, so get your warm clothes prepared!
- We will go to Green Cape and “Alyosha” monument to watch panoramic view of Murmansk, port and Kola Bay.
- Then we will visit the pride of Soviet Engineering – first in the world Nuclear-powered Icebreaker “Lenin”. You will learn the history of this ship and technologies which were implemented in construction of icebreaker that helped to make a new step for the humanity in Arctic researches field.
- In the evening, we will have a Welcome Dinner in authentic restaurant to try Russian and Northern food and make acquaintance with new friends.
- And if the weather will be good – we will go out of the city to search for nice location and wait for beautiful show of Aurora Borealis!
Day 2. Excursion to Teriberka – the egde of the world
- Teriberka is small fishing village on the coast of the Barents Sea and Arctic Ocean! The village was quite abandoned and was dying for a long time. But luckily, situation changed when Russian movie maker Andrey Zviagentsev filmed a movie “Leviathan” where showed beautiful nature of the North. After this Teriberka got the second chance and became one of the most touristic places in Murmansk region! We will visit this beautiful place and enjoy undescribable views of nordic nature – Barents sea, frozen waterfall, stone beach and others! And we will return back to Murmasnk for overnight!
- If the weather will be good – we will go out of the city to search for nice location and wait for beautiful show of Aurora Borealis!
Day 3. Visit husky and reindeer park in Lovozero
- From the morning we start from Murmansk and go to Lovozero. Be ready that this day will be full of cuteness because meet with huskies – most friendly dogs in the world! You will learn about character and hierarchy of huskies and will have an exciting ride in the dog sleigh! Huskies are very friendly and love playing with people, so be ready for fun, hugs and happy photos!
- After huskies we will get to another part of the park to meet with reindeers! First of all we will learn about culture of Sami – indigenious people of Kola Peninsula. And after that pat and feed reindeers, take huge amount of cool photos and will have a ride with reindeer sleigh!
- In the evening we are moving to Kirovsk and will stay there for overnight.
Day 4. Snowmobiles in Khibiny and Snow Village
- Today we will have a real winter adventure! We will have an exciting snowmobile ride through picturesque landscapes of Khibiny mountains! We will pass through beautiful pine forest, canyon, will get to the high viewpoint and will see a lot of beautiful places!
- After riding we will go Snow village – unique complex made of snow and ice sculptures, and if you still have energy – we will take park in some winter funs like snowtubing and snowball fighting!
Day 5. Kirovsk ski resort BigWood!
- We will spend the whole day at BigWood – Kirovsk ski-resort! We will have a lot of fun riding snowboards or skies! And if you can’t snowboarding or skiing, you can take a lesson with experienced instructor! They are very professional and experienced, so after 2 hours of training you will be able to ride and maneuver by your own even if it will be your first time riding 🙂
- After the whole day in the winter nature we will have an evening in banya – traditional Russian sauna. This is a perfect place to “heat the bones”, and very good for health as prophylactic of many diseases! During banya everybody, who wishes can jump in the snow like Russians do! As for me, I will do it for sure 😉
Day 6. Driving from Kirovsk to Petrozavodsk
- Today we need to cover the distance of 820 km from Kirovsk to Petrozavodsk – the capital of Karelia. It will take us around 10 hours and through the whole trip we will enjoy amazing views of nordic nature! Endless forests, swamps, small towns, picturesque rivers and lakes – during this trip you will feel the scale of Russia 🙂
- In the evening we will come to Petrozavodsk, check in the hotel and take rest after the long trip!
Day 7. Visiting winter Kizhi island by hovercraft boat
- Kizhi is one of the wonders of Russia! It’s small island in the Onega Lake. In summer you can get to the lake by motorboat or “Meteor” – special high speed boat, but in winter you need something different. A hover boat! Kizhi island is an amazing place with Kizhskiy Pogost – the best example of Russian wooden architecture which is under UNESCO protection! We will enjoy beautiful views of winter in Kizhi without crowds of tourists.
- In the evening we will go back to Petrozavodsk.
Day 8. Driving from Petrozavodsk through Karelia with visiting Kinerma village
- Today we will pass through the whole Karelia region from Petrozavodsk to Sortavala. And our first stop will be at the zoo. You know, I don’t like zoos, because I think that all wild animals should live in the nature… But this is a very special zoo and we will visit it to support the project. Animals, who live here are the lucky ones, who have got a second chance for life, because all of them should die in wild nature. Some of them came here because of disease, some of them got injuries from hunting traps, some of them were too small when lost their parents, etc. During the tour around zoo, you will learn a unique life story of every animal and will see almost all wild animals who live in Karelia.
- Our next stop will be Kinerma village – the traditional Karelian village which is more than 200 years old. In 2016 Kinerma won the award and got the status “Most beautiful village of Russia”. During this visit we will learn traditions and lifestyle of Karels and try traditional Karelian cuisine.
- We will finish our day in Sortavala city and stay there for overnight.
Day 9. Ruskeala Marble Quarry – the beautiful pearl in Karelian necklace
- We will start the day in unbelievably beautiful Ruskeala Marble Quarry – the real treasure of Karelian nature! You will see huge and extremely beautiful marble rocks and learn how through the centuries, layer by layer marble was formed, that was used in several buildings of Saint Petersburg.
- We will spend this night in Ethnical Russian village Verkhniye Mandrogi.
Day 10. Have fun like Russian in Verkhniye Mandrogi – Ethnical Russian village!
- This will be a day full of new emotions dedicated to fun in Ethnical Russian village-park Verkhniye Mandrogi! We will taste traditional Russian food and get new experience trying to do something by our own hands during workshops, also we will communicate with horses and ride a traditional Russian sleigh with 3 horses. If you want, you can shoot from real gun or arbalest or take a lesson of horseback riding.
Day 11. Saint Petersburg – the treasury of Russian Architecture
- This morning we are going to the last point of our journey – incredible Saint Petersburg!
- On the way we will visit Alexander-Svirsky Orthodox Monastery, which history starts from 1530. The monastery itself has very beautiful architecture and is located in a very scenic place. This monastery has very interesting history, which includes both tragic and triumphal periods. After walking in monastery, we will continue our trip to Saint Petersburg.
- On arrival we will check in the hotel and will go for a walk in the historical center of Saint Petersburg. We will pass such architecture treasures as Hermitage museum and Palace Square, Church of the Savior on Blood, Kazan and Isaac Cathedrals.
- This evening we will have a Long and cozy Farewell Dinner with chatting, laughing and refreshing all amazing adventures that we have experienced together! I guess that we will go to sleep very late today 😉
Day 12. Farewell hugs!
- Today some of you are leaving back home, some of you will decide to stay in Saint Petersburg for couple of days, but anyway this is the last day of our traveling together for this time!
- Be ready for long goodbyes, laughing, tears and promises that we will meet each other again in Russia, in your country or somewhere else in the world!
- Russia is huge, wonderful and interesting country which will take your heart forever and you would like to come back for sure! So please, check other our Tours to Russia with adventures for individual travellers and organized groups!
Author – Dmitry Doronin
Date of tour:
from December 1'st, 2017 till April 1'st, 2018
Prices for this tour for individual groups:
[:en]Number of participants[:ru]Количество участников[:]
[:en]Price per person[:ru]Цена за 1 участника[:]
[:en]2 persons[:ru]2 человека[:]
[:en]2270$ / 2140€[:ru]126000 руб[:]
[:en]3-4 persons[:ru]3-4 человека[:]
[:en]1920$ / 1810€[:ru]108000 руб[:]
[:en]5-6 persons[:ru]5-6 человек[:]
[:en]1870$ / 1740€[:ru]105000 руб[:]
[:en]7-8 persons[:ru]7-8 человек[:]
[:en]1780$ / 1670€[:ru]99000 руб[:]
[:en]9-12 persons[:ru]9-12 человек[:]
[:en]1650$ / 1550€[:ru]92000 руб[:]
- Duration: 12 days / 11 nights
- Where: Murmansk oblast and Republic of Karelia
- Start: Murmansk
- Finish: Saint-Petersburg
- Accommodation: Twin rooms
- Total Distance: 2000 km (1240 miles)
- Transport: comfortable car or van and train
- Native cultures: Sami, Karels and Russians
- Daily Temperature: -15˚…-30˚C
- Minimum age: From 6 to 17 y.o. – only accompanied by adults. From 18 y.o. – independently
- Fitness level: Simple
- Language: English / Russian. If your group needs translation to another language – please, mention about it when booking.
- Active entertainments: Reindeer sledding, dog sledding, snowmobiling, banya (Russian sauna), snowboarding / skiing, workshops, snowtubing, horse sleight riding. Optional: zip-line or ropejumping, horseback riding, shooting with the gun or arbalest.
- Excursions: Nuclear-powered icebreaker “Lenin”, Northern Marine Fleet Museum, Excursion in the kennel of sledding dogs, Visit to reindeer herders Sami, Snow Village, Stone Museum, Karelian Village, Non-typical zoo of Karelian animals, Marble quarry Ruskeala, Alexander Svirskiy Orthodox Monastery and historical center of Saint Petersburg.
- Always with you: Dmitry and Ilaria
Cost of Adventure – from $1650 / €1550
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- Airport or railway station transfers
- Transport on tour
- Accommodation for 2 nights in touristic base
- Accommodation in the Verkhnie Mandrogi village for 2 nights in twin-rooms
- Food: all meals during living in the touristic base, dinner in Karelian village, lunch in Alexander-Svirsky Monastery.
- Entry fees to attractions and sightseeing
- Active entertainments: Reindeer sledding, dog sledding, snowmobiling, banya (Russian sauna), snowboarding / skiing, workshops, snowtubing, horse sleight riding.
- Photos and movie with your adventures in Russian North
- All necessary consultations and 24-hours support during the trip
- English / Russian speaking guides. If your group needs translation to another language – please, mention it when booking.
- Russian visa support letter
- Always with you – Dmitry and Ilaria
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Airfare: Your city – Murmansk, Saint Petersburg – Your city
- Accommodation in Murmansk (2 nights), Kirovsk (2 nights), Sortavala (1 night), St. Petersburg (1 night)
- Interpreter to another language (if not Russian / English). If your group needs for translation in your language, please, mention about it when booking
- Travel medical insurance
- Visa fees
- Lunches and dinners that are not mentioned above and alcohol (approximately 20-30$ per day)
- Souvenirs, tips and other personal expenses
- Optional entertainments: zip-line (30$), ropejumping (30$), horseback riding (50$), shooting with the gun (20$ for 10 shots), shooting with arbalest (10$ for 10 shots) and others that are not mentioned in main program
- Snowboarding or skiing instructor (60$ for 2 hours)
- Individual transfers during free time
- To book a place in the group, you need: 1) To fill the Booking form for us to contact you. 2) After that, to pay a minimum deposit of 30% of tour cost. Please, check our cancelation and refund policy and payment methods here - Guarantee, documents and payment methods. The rest of your fees must be transferred to us no later than 7 days before your arrival.
- Depending upon weather conditions and unforeseen circumstances, we reserve the right to make changes in our program, keeping the itinerary action-packed and interesting.
Citizens of these countries have visa-free entrance to Russia for 90 days (or number of days that is in brackets):
Abkhazia, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus (no limits), Bosnia and Herzegovina (30 days), Brazil, Chile, China (only for travelling as a part of official tour group and only for 14 days), Colombia, Cuba (30 days), Ecuador, Fiji, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hong Kong (14 days), Israel, Kazakhstan (no limits), Kyrgyzstan (no limits), Macau (30 days), Macedonia (30 days only with invitation voucher that we can do for you), Mauritius (60 days), Moldova (no limits), Mongolia (30 days), Montenegro (30 days), Nauru (14 days), Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Serbia (30 days), Seychelles (30 days), South Korea (60 days), South Ossetia (no limits), Tajikistan (no limits), Thailand (30 days), Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan (no limits), Venezuela.
If you don't have citizenship of any countries above - check our full article How to get Russian visa. If you have diplomatic or other special passport in addition to regular one, you have different visa requirements and periods. Please, contact us via Contact Form to check visa requirements for your case.
Still have questions or doubts? Use our CONTACT FORM!
THIS IS INTERESTING
Check our Tours List with tours for individual travellers and organized groups!
Follow us in social media for more info!
Want to get regular inspiring newsletters with our new articles, dates of tours, interesting books and movies about travelling, announcements about our contests with gifts and other useful information for travellers?