Visit Russian North: Murmansk oblast and Karelia
We are looking forward to share with you our special experience during this adventure. You will explore Murmansk – the city of Russian Military Glory and the largest city in the world which is located in the Polar Circle! You will try yourself as a musher and will drive a real husky dog sledding. You will meet the culture of reindeer herders Sami and visit Karelian and Russian villages to understand the difference between these three nationalities of native people who lived in Russian North for ages till our days. Then you will drive a snowmobile to visit Seydozero – sacred lake for Sami, which is guarded by evil sorcerer Kuyva, you will ride a reindeer sleight and have some heat in banya – traditional Russian sauna. You will also have time for skiing and snowboarding. Even if you never tried to do it – you will have a chance to learn! During the whole trip you will pass 2000 km (1240 miles) crossing Polar Circle of the Earth and watching beautiful nature of Russian North, eating tasty Russian and Northern cuisine, having long interesting conversations about history, cultures and interesting places of Russia with your new friends. And you will be lucky enough for sure to see the most beautiful miracle of north – Polar Lights or Aurora Borealis!
Day 1. Welcome to Murmansk, Russia!
- This day we meet you at the airport or railway station of Murmansk and bring to the hotel for you to have some rest after the flight.
- Depending upon your arrival time, we will have a little walk in the city for you to meet new reality of this place. Don’t forget, that it is a real cold winter and you are at the very north of Russia! So, in case if you don’t have warm clothes, shoes, winter hat and gloves – we can go to the shop and buy it. And yes, you are in Polar Circle, so be ready to see real Polar Night.
- We will go to Green Cape and “Alyosha” monument to watch panoramic view of Murmansk, port and Kola Bay.
- When the whole group will arrive, we will have a Welcome Dinner in authentic restaurant to try Russian and Northern food and make acquaintance with new friends.
Day 2. I hope you like dogs and Nuclear technologies
- This day we will start with communication with huskies – the most friendly dogs in the world! You will learn about character and hierarchy of huskies and history of the breed. Then you will try yourself as a musher to drive real dog sledding! Huskies are very friendly and love playing with people, so be ready for fun, hugs and happy photos!
- Then we will visit the pride of Soviet Engineering – first in the world Nuclear-powered Icebreaker “Lenin”. You will learn the history of this ship and technologies which were implemented in construction of icebreaker that helped to make a new step for the humanity in Arctic researches field.
- Murmansk is a heroic city and one of the central places in its heroic history takes Northern Marine Fleet. We will visit museum of Northern Marine Fleet and learn its heroic history from the beginning till our days.
Day 3. Is it easy to be a reindeer herder?
- Today you will learn about culture of Sami, indigenious people of Kola Peninsula. You will meet a real Sami who will show you how do they live, how do they build houses and will tell about their lifestyle, reindeer herding and hunting. Here you will try traditional Sami cuisine and while having Sami herbal tea, we will talk about life in tundra, families and everything that is interesting for you about these indigenous people of Kola Peninsula. After that, you will meet reindeers to pat and feed them, and to make huge amount of cool photos! And the most exciting event of the day – we will ride a reindeer sledding!
Day 4. Snowmobiling races and mystery of Seydozero
- This day we will have a real winter adventure! We will spend the day driving snowmobiles to Seydozero – a sacred lake for Sami and place of power for Sami Shamans! We will see an evil sorcerer Kuyva, who due to Sami legend, was prisoned in the rock and now he is a keeper of Seydozero lake.
- After the whole day in the winter nature we will have an evening in banya – traditional Russian sauna. This is a perfect place to “heat the bones”, and very good for health as prophylactic of many diseases! During banya everybody, who wishes can jump in the snow like Russians do! As for me, I will do it for sure 😉
Day 5. Snow village ang winter childhood entertainents!
- After breakfast at tourist center, we are going to Kirovsk – the city, surrounded with picturesque Khibiny mountains!
- We will visit Stone museum and Snow village, full of snow and ice sculptures, and then we are going to have winter fun as in childhood time – snowtubings, snowball fighting, and if we still have time and energy – we will make a snowman!
Day 6 and 7. Winter vacation without ski resort is not our case
- These 2 days we will spend in Kirovsk at ski-resort! We will have a lot of fun riding snowboards or skies! And if you can’t snowboarding or skiing, you can take a lesson with experienced instructor! Polar night is a feature of riding in Kirovsk. That means that every day you can see sunrises and sunsets in the beauty of Khibiny mountains.
- In the evening of the second day we are leaving Murmansk region to Karelia by train from Kirovsk to Petrozavodsk.
Day 8. Driving from Petrozavodsk through Karelia
- This day we’ll start from Railway Station of Petrozavodsk and drive through the whole Karelia.
- Our first stop will be at the zoo. You know, I don’t like zoos, because I think that all wild animals should live in the nature… But this is a very unique zoo and we will visit it to support the project. Animals, who live here are the lucky ones, who have got a second chance for life, because they almost 100% should die in wild nature. Some of them came here because of disease, some of them got injuries from hunting traps, some of them were too small when lost their parents, etc. During the tour around zoo, you will learn a unique life story of every animal and will see almost all wild animals which live in Karelia.
- On the way we will visit traditional Karelian village which is more than 200 years old. During this visit we will learn traditions and lifestyle of Karels and try traditional Karelian cuisine.
Day 9. Ruskeala – The beautiful pearl in Karelian necklace
- We will start the day in unbelievably beautiful Ruskeala Marble Quarry – the real treasure of Karelian nature! You will see huge and extremely beautiful marble rocks and learn how through the centuries, layer by layer was formed the marble, that was used in several buildings of Saint Petersburg. Extreme lovers can experience breathtaking rope-jumping from the rock down or zip-line flying with the rope along the quarry!
- We will spend this night in Ethnical Russian village.
Day 10. Feel wide Russian soul by living the whole day in Ethnical Russian village!
- This will be a day full of new emotions dedicated to fun in Ethnical Russian village-park Verkhnie Mandrogi! We will taste traditional Russian food and get new experience trying to do something by our own hands during workshops, also we will communicate with horses and ride a traditional Russian sleigh with 3 horses. If you want, you can shoot from real gun or arbalest or take a lesson of horseback riding.
Day 11. Saint Petersburg – the treasury of Russian Architecture
- This morning we are going to the last point of our journey – incredible Saint Petersburg!
- On the way we will visit Alexander-Svirsky Orthodox Monastery, which history starts from 1530. The monastery itself has very beautiful architecture and is located in a very scenic place. This monastery has very rich history, which includes both tragic and triumphal periods. After walking in monastery, we will continue our trip to Saint Petersburg.
- On arrival we will check in the hotel and will go for a walk in the historical center of Saint Petersburg. We will pass such architecture treasures as Hermitage museum and Palace Square, Church of the Savior on Blood, Kazan and Isaac Cathedrals.
- This evening we will have a Long and cozy Farewell Dinner with chatting, laughing and refreshing all amazing adventures that we have experienced together! I guess that we will go to sleep very late today 😉
Day 12. Farewell hugs!
- Today some of you are leaving back home, some of you will decide to stay in Saint Petersburg for couple of days, but anyway this is the last day of our traveling together for this time!
- Be ready for long goodbyes, laughing, tears and promises that we will meet each other again in Russia, in your country or somewhere else in the world!
- Russia is huge, wonderful and interesting country which will take your heart forever! So please, check other Tours to Russia with Value Of The Moment if you want to come here again.
Date of tour:
from December 1'st, 2017 till April 1'st, 2018
Prices for this tour for individual groups:
Number of participants
Price per person
2270$ / 2140€
1920$ / 1810€
1870$ / 1740€
1780$ / 1670€
1650$ / 1550€
- Duration: 12 days / 11 nights
- Where: Murmansk oblast and Republic of Karelia
- Start: Murmansk
- Finish: Saint-Petersburg
- Accommodation: Twin rooms
- Total Distance: 2000 km (1240 miles)
- Transport: comfortable car or van and train
- Native cultures: Sami, Karels and Russians
- Daily Temperature: -15˚…-30˚C
- Minimum age: From 6 to 17 y.o. – only accompanied by adults. From 18 y.o. – independently
- Fitness level: Simple
- Language: English / Russian. If your group needs translation to another language – please, mention about it when booking.
- Active entertainments: Reindeer sledding, dog sledding, snowmobiling, banya (Russian sauna), snowboarding / skiing, workshops, snowtubing, horse sleight riding. Optional: zip-line or ropejumping, horseback riding, shooting with the gun or arbalest.
- Excursions: Nuclear-powered icebreaker “Lenin”, Northern Marine Fleet Museum, Excursion in the kennel of sledding dogs, Visit to reindeer herders Sami, Snow Village, Stone Museum, Karelian Village, Non-typical zoo of Karelian animals, Marble quarry Ruskeala, Alexander Svirskiy Orthodox Monastery and historical center of Saint Petersburg.
- Always with you: Dmitry and Ilaria
Cost of Adventure – from $1650 / €1550
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- Airport or railway station transfers
- Transport on tour
- Accommodation for 2 nights in touristic base
- Accommodation in the Verkhnie Mandrogi village for 2 nights in twin-rooms
- Food: all meals during living in the touristic base, dinner in Karelian village, lunch in Alexander-Svirsky Monastery.
- Entry fees to attractions and sightseeing
- Active entertainments: Reindeer sledding, dog sledding, snowmobiling, banya (Russian sauna), snowboarding / skiing, workshops, snowtubing, horse sleight riding.
- Photos and movie with your adventures in Russian North
- All necessary consultations and 24-hours support during the trip
- English / Russian speaking guides. If your group needs translation to another language – please, mention it when booking.
- Russian visa support letter
- Always with you – Dmitry and Ilaria
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Airfare: Your city – Murmansk, Saint Petersburg – Your city
- Accommodation in Murmansk (2 nights), Kirovsk (2 nights), Sortavala (1 night), St. Petersburg (1 night)
- Interpreter to another language (if not Russian / English). If your group needs for translation in your language, please, mention about it when booking
- Travel medical insurance
- Visa fees
- Lunches and dinners that are not mentioned above and alcohol (approximately 20-30$ per day)
- Souvenirs, tips and other personal expenses
- Optional entertainments: zip-line (30$), ropejumping (30$), horseback riding (50$), shooting with the gun (20$ for 10 shots), shooting with arbalest (10$ for 10 shots) and others that are not mentioned in main program
- Snowboarding or skiing instructor (60$ for 2 hours)
- Individual transfers during free time
- To book a place in the group, you need: 1) To fill the Booking form for us to contact you. 2) After that, to pay a minimum deposit of 30% of tour cost. Please, check our cancelation and refund policy and payment methods here - Guarantee, documents and payment methods. The rest of your fees must be transferred to us no later than 7 days before your arrival.
- Depending upon weather conditions and unforeseen circumstances, we reserve the right to make changes in our program, keeping the itinerary action-packed and interesting.
Citizens of these countries have visa-free entrance to Russia for 90 days (or number of days that is in brackets):
Abkhazia, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus (no limits), Bosnia and Herzegovina (30 days), Brazil, Chile, China (only for travelling as a part of official tour group and only for 14 days), Colombia, Cuba (30 days), Ecuador, Fiji, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hong Kong (14 days), Israel, Kazakhstan (no limits), Kyrgyzstan (no limits), Macau (30 days), Macedonia (30 days only with invitation voucher that we can do for you), Mauritius (60 days), Moldova (no limits), Mongolia (30 days), Montenegro (30 days), Nauru (14 days), Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Serbia (30 days), Seychelles (30 days), South Korea (60 days), South Ossetia (no limits), Tajikistan (no limits), Thailand (30 days), Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan (no limits), Venezuela.
If you don't have citizenship of any countries above - check our full article How to get Russian visa. If you have diplomatic or other special passport in addition to regular one, you have different visa requirements and periods. Please, contact us via Contact Form to check visa requirements for your case.
Still have questions or doubts? Use our CONTACT FORM!
THIS IS INTERESTING
Follow us in social media for more info!
Want to get regular inspiring newsletters with our new articles, dates of tours, interesting books and movies about travelling, announcements about our contests with gifts and other useful information for travellers?